- All dogs and cats 6 months old and over must be licensed.
- Licenses are due January 1st of each year
- Additional penalty fee is added after March 31
- For additional information, please email or call us at (515) 283-4209
Current license costs:
- Spayed or neutered pet - $15.00
- Non-spayed or non-neutered Pet - $35.00
- Senior Citizens may license 1 dog and 1 cat for $5.00 each – any additional pets will be at the regular license rate
- Service dogs are licensed at no charge when proof is provided
- Applications received after March 31st will be assessed a $50.00 late fee except for
- A new pet under the age of six months – license required when pet reaches 6 months
- New residents are required to purchase a license within 30 days
To license your pet
- Visit the City Clerk’s Office
400 Robert D. Ray Drive, First Floor
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
- Complete the Printable License Form and mail or return it to the Clerk’s Office
- Submit a current rabies vaccination certificate and proof of spay or neuter, if applicable, along with the application and required fee.
- Methods of payment accepted are cash, check, Visa and MasterCard.
- Hours: Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM
While purchasing your license, dog owners can also get annual Dog Park Permits which are available for $20 each.
Don't forget, the Animal Rescue League of Iowa has many animals available for adoption. Find a location at the ARL website.