How do I? close menu

Animal Licensing

Animal LicenseDog and cat

  • All dogs and cats 6 months old and over must be licensed.
  • Licenses are due January 1st of each year
  • Additional penalty fee is added after March 31
  • For additional information, please email or call us at (515) 283-4209

Current license costs:

  • Spayed or neutered pet - $15.00
  • Non-spayed or non-neutered Pet - $35.00
  • Senior Citizens may license 1 dog and 1 cat for $5.00 each – any additional pets will be at the regular license rate
  • Service dogs are licensed at no charge when proof is provided
  • Applications received after March 31st will be assessed a $50.00 late fee except for
    • A new pet under the age of six months – license required when pet reaches 6 months
    • A new pet licensed within 30 days
    • New residents are required to purchase a license within 30 days

To license your pet

  • Visit the City Clerk’s Office
    400 Robert D. Ray Drive, First Floor
    Des Moines, Iowa 50309
  • Complete the Printable License Form and mail or return it to the Clerk’s Office
  • Submit a current rabies vaccination certificate and proof of spay or neuter, if applicable, along with the application and required fee.
  • Methods of payment accepted are cash, check, Visa and MasterCard.
  • Hours: Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM

While purchasing your license, dog owners can also get annual Dog Park Permits  which are available for $20 each.

Don't forget, the Animal Rescue League of Iowa has many animals available for adoption. Find a location at the ARL website.

Visit our Animals & Pets FAQ