How do I? close menu

Business Licenses and Permits

The City Clerk's Office issues the following licenses and permits.

  • Beer and Liquor Permits
  • Cigarette Permits
  • Coin Operated Machine Permits 
  • Going-out-of-Business Permits
  • Haunted House Permits
  • Mobile Vendor Permits  
  • Paint Address on Curb Permits 
  • Pawn Shop Permits
  • Peddler Permits
  • Premise Permits
  • Salvage Dealer Permit
  • Snow Hauler Permits 
  • Solid Waste Hauler Permits
  • Theater Permits
  • Transient Merchant Permits

Liquor License New and Renewal Application Process

  • Inspections
    • Several required to determine eligibility to get or renew a liquor license
    • Take at least 30 days to complete
    • Forward all forms and paperwork in a timely manner
    • Once you have submitted an online application and all other paperwork to the City Clerk’s Office
      • A criminal and financial background investigation takes place
      • When investigation is completed and the premise has been inspected and approved, the application is presented to the Des Moines City Council.
      • The City Council will determine whether the applicant is eligible to hold a liquor license in the City of Des Moines.
      • You will be notified in writing if the City Council denies your liquor license application.
      • You may call the Des Moines City Clerk’s Office to confirm the approval of your application.

Forms and Additional Information 


Des Moines Police Department Vice Coordinator
Phone: (515) 283-4830 or (515) 237-1446

City Clerk's Office
400 Robert D. Ray Drive
Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone: (515) 283-4209 - option 4