Welcome to the City Clerk’s Office. This office serves as a go-between for the residents of Des Moines and the City Council, Mayor, and other various departments.
So what is the City Clerk? They are a city employee that is appointed by the City Council and responsible for duties defined by the Code of Iowa. Duties include:
- City Council support services
- Preparing City Council agendas
- Recording and maintaining all Council records, proceedings, and ordinances
- Collecting parking violations
- Issuing various licenses and permits
- Providing information about Council proceedings and ordinances
The Clerk’s Office is made up of five divisions. These are:
Business License and Permits
Although not kept in this office, we can point you in the right direction to find life event or vital records, such as birth certificates, as well as voter registration on our Vital Records page.
Another service offered by the City Clerk’s Office for Des Moines residents is a Public Notary Service. This is available at no charge during business hours. Simply bring your photo ID and your unsigned documents to be signed in front of the notary.