Parking Ticket Payment Process
- Pay online using Visa or MasterCard
- You can search online for any outstanding parking tickets. All you need is your license plate or ticket number.
- Pay in person at the City Clerk's Office
- 400 Robert D. Ray Drive
- Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Cash, check, Visa or MasterCard
- A ticket is forwarded to AAA Collection, Inc., the collection agency for the City of Des Moines, when it becomes 120 days delinquent
- They attempt collection through mailings and telephone calls.
- If unsuccessful, they report non-payment to various Credit Bureaus which can result in an adverse credit rating or legal action.
- State Income Tax Offset Program
- Any person receiving a State of Iowa income tax refund, who has unpaid parking citations, is subject to having their refund delayed until the tickets are paid
- If the tickets remain unpaid, the City must wait a required 15-day period before deducting the amount owed from a refund
- The State then withholds funds to cover the parking citations, issues payment to the City, and the citizen receives the remainder.
- The City also holds renewal county license plate registrations until receipt of payment of unpaid parking tickets.
Tow List for Delinquent Tickets
- It is illegal to park a vehicle that has four or more delinquent parking tickets on any City property
- A ticket becomes delinquent when it is not paid within 30 days or appealed within 7 business days
- Vehicles with four or more delinquent parking tickets are placed on a tow list with the Des Moines Police Department
- If towed, all delinquent tickets must be paid, as well as a $20 preservation fee
- The City Clerk’s Office, 400 Robert D. Ray Drive, provides releases to the registered owner of the vehicle Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM; cash, Visa or MasterCard is accepted
- The Police Department, 25 E. 1st Street, provides releases, Monday through Friday, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM; cash, Visa, or MasterCard is accepted
- Once the tickets are paid, the citizen is given a Vehicle Impound Release form to present to the towing company which allows them to retrieve their vehicle.
- Once all towing expenses are paid, the vehicle is released to the citizen.
- If the vehicle owner feels the towing was not warranted, they may request an Administrative Hearing at the City Clerk's Office, within 10 days of impoundment. This is only allowed for vehicles towed for illegal parking.
Parking Ticket Appeal Process
- You may appeal a parking ticket if you feel it is unwarranted.
- A written parking ticket appeal must be received within seven business days of issuance of the ticket.
- To appeal, complete the online parking Ticket appeal form or appear in person at the Clerk's Office, 400 Robert D. Ray Drive, to request a form.