The City of Des Moines is not responsible for birth, marriage or death certificates, but we are happy to provide you with information on how to obtain these vital records.
Polk County Recorder
- Marriage licenses and marriage certificates
- Polk County birth certificates
- Polk County death certificates
- Deeds & Contracts
- State & Federal Tax Liens
- Plats & Surveys
- Military Records
Contact the Polk County Recorder at (515) 286-3160 or their website.
State of Iowa Department of Public Health
- Iowa birth certificates for people not born in Polk County
- For Iowa death records not available at the Recorder’s Office
Contact the State of Iowa Department of Public Health at (515) 281-4944 or their website.
Polk County Election Office
- Voter registration
7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
111 Court Ave Suite 250
Des Moines, IA 50309
Contact the Polk County Election Office at (515) 286-3247 or their website.