Delivery and Takeout Assistance
Des Moines restaurants have incurred significant financial impacts during the COVID-19 pandemic. Due to the nature of the restaurant industry, and guidelines in place related to social distancing, the seating and capacity within establishments is limited. Several of these restaurants have shifted their focus to delivery and takeout services.
In an effort to preserve the unique taste, flavor, and creativity of Des Moines restaurants that have struggled through the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Des Moines is providing grants through its Dine Out Des Moines iniative to safely support business to local restaurants through the coming winter months. These grants aim to reduce the financial burden of purchasing supplies to facilitate delivery/takeout orders.
Applications open on Tuesday, January 26, 2021
- Grants would be provided in the form of reimbursements of up to $7,500 per local restaurant for takeout and delivery supplies.
- A parent/management company or individual owning or operating multiple Des Moines restaurant locations (including wholly-owned subsidiaries) will not receive more than $15,000 total from this program.
- All reimbursement funds will be distributed to restaurant owners on a first-come, first-served basis, in order of applications received.
- Delivery/takeout supply charges incurred by restaurants beginning December 1, 2020 are eligible for reimbursement.
- Applications will be accepted in multiple rounds, each covering a single month’s worth of expenses. Restaurant owners are eligible to submit an application once per round, until grant funding is exhausted or 5 p.m. on April 30, 2021, whichever comes first. Restaurants can submit in multiple rounds, up to a cumulative total of $7,500.
- Restaurants with a physical location in the City of Des Moines are eligible.
- Restaurants that have an on-site drive-thru are not eligible.
- Supply charges incurred by restaurants beginning December 1, 2020 are eligible for reimbursement in the first round.
- Takeout and delivery supply reimbursements can include warmer bags, disposable containers, and other supplies to facilitate takeout and delivery most effectively.
- Takeout and delivery supply reimbursements exclude consumables, equipment, technology investments, and payroll expenses.
- Restaurant order delivery fees charged by independent third-party delivery sources (i.e. Grub Hub, Door Dash, and similar services) are not eligible for reimbursement.
- Restaurants maintaining fewer than three waitstaff per shift prior to December 1, 2019 shall not be eligible for the program due to the intent of the program to attempt to minimize interactions between waitstaff and the general public for health and safety purposes and to assist with preventing the spread of COVID-19 throughout the community.
- Restaurants that have been in business since at least December 1, 2019, shall not be eligible if they have not suffered significant year-over-year revenue loss of a minimum of twenty percent (20%) from April 1, 2020 through January 1, 2021.
- A “restaurant” for purposes of and eligibility in the program shall be an establishment that serves food or beverages for on- or off-premise consumption as its principal business, such as cafes, cafeterias, ice cream or yogurt shops, donut shops, and coffee shops, and at which at least fifty percent (50%) of the gross receipts are derived from the sale of prepared food and food-related services, excluding the sale of alcoholic beverages, as identified in Des Moines Municipal Code Chapter 134-3.5.9(A).
Application and Review Process
Online application submissions for reimbursement will be accepted in multiple rounds:
- 1st round – Beginning January 26, 2021 for December 2020 supplies
- 2nd round – Beginning February 12, 2021 for January 2021 supplies
- 3rd round – Beginning March 10, 2021 for February 2021 supplies
- 4th round – Beginning April 7, 2021 for March 2021 supplies
- Applications will be accepted until grant funding is exhausted or until 5 p.m. on April 30, 2021, whichever comes first.
Items that will need to be submitted with an application for reimbursement include:
- Eligible receipts for supply orders that include the date and time of purchase, the supplier, and itemized list of supplies (including cost)
- W-9 for the restaurant requesting reimbursement
- Reimbursement request form
The City's review process will include:
- City staff will be responsible for determining application eligibility.
- Funding will be distributed by the City of Des Moines after required items are submitted and your request has been approved.
- The City will make every effort to reimburse in a timely fashion.
- The City shall reserve the opportunity to request additional information or clarification from any restaurant applicant, as determined necessary by City staff administering the program, including but not limited to request(s) for affidavit from applicant(s) and/or supporting documentation demonstrating year-over-year revenue loss when applicable.
Questions for City staff may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.