Des Moines City Government Mission
- Financially strong
- Provide exceptional municipal services
- Customer friendly
- Involved community – residents and businesses
- Financially Sound City
- Sustainable Community: Our Neighborhoods, Our Downtown
- High Performing City Organization
- Upgraded City Infrastructure and Buildings
- Livable Community: Expanded Leisure, Arts & Cultural Opportunities
Responsibilities of City Manager’s Office
The City Manager is appointed by the City Council to carry out policy and ensure that the entire community is being served. The City Manager makes policy recommendations to the City Council, but the City Council may or may not adopt those recommendation and may modify them. The primary responsibility of a City Manager is to implement the policies of the City Council, which is elected by the citizens.
Form of Government
The City of Des Moines has adopted the council-manager form of local government, which combines the strong political leadership of elected officials in the form of a City Council or other governing body with the strong managerial experience of an appointed local government manager.