The Des Moines Civil and Human Rights Commission serves as a neutral, fact-finding, investigative agency. The commission investigates complaints of discrimination in accordance with City Code (Chapter 62) in the following areas:

  • Employment
  • Housing
  • Municipal practices
  • Public accommodations

This public service is provided free-of-charge to residents in the City of Des Moines.

Live outside the City of Des Moines?
These local commissions in your area can help, or you can contact the State of Iowa Civil Rights Commission for assistance.

Prepare to File

When you file a complaint, please be ready to provide:
  • up-to-date contact information
  • alternate contact information
  • supporting evidence
  • names of witnesses that support your allegations

Although investigations start in a timely manner, it is not unusual to experience delays throughout the process.

Contact Us

If you have questions or need assistance filing a complaint, our staff are here to serve you Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Steps in the Complaint Process:

Step 1 - Filing

Step 2 - Intake

Step 3 - Mediation

Step 4 - Investigation

Step 5 - Litigation