Federal Funds and the Consolidated Plan
The City of Des Moines is an entitlement city, which means it is eligible for certain funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) every year. The City’s Community Development Department applies for Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), HOME Opportunities Partnership Program (HOME), and Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) funding by means of the Consolidated Plan. The City may also receive Continuum of Care (CoC) funding, which is explained further below.
There are three parts to the consolidated planning process:
- Analysis of housing needs, market, and fair housing issues;
- Planning to achieve community development goals; and
- Reporting on accomplishments.
The consolidated planning process results in a five-year Consolidated Plan, which is updated annually with an Action Plan. Staff also annually report results to HUD via the Consolidated Annual Performance Evaluation Report (CAPER). Public participation is encouraged throughout the process. Below are the available parts of the Consolidated Plan.
- 2018 Action Plan and 2018 CAPER
- 2017 Action Plan and 2017 CAPER
- 2017 Action Plan Amendment 1
- 2015-2019 Consolidated Plan (includes Needs Assessment and Market Analysis)
- Regional Analysis of Impediments
Continuum of Care
The CoC Program was designed to promote communitywide coordination to end homelessness. The City of Des Moines acts as a fiscal agent for the Des Moines and Polk County CoC Program. Decisions regarding federal funding for homelessness agencies are made by the Des Moines and Polk County CoC Board by recommendations from its committees and the Homeless Coordination Council.
More resources on federal funds:
- HUD Exchange
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Title 24 CFR Part 5: General HUD Program Requirements, Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing
- Title 24 CFR Part 58: Environmental Review for Local Governments
- Title 24 CFR Part 91: Consolidated Plan
- Title 24 CFR Part 92: HOME Investment Partnerships Program
- Title 24 CFR Part 570: Community Development Block Grants
- Title 24 CFR Part 576: Emergency Solutions Grant
- Title 24 CFR Part 578: Continuum of Care