Downtown Des Moines offers more than 30,000 public parking spaces, including seven public parking ramps and approximately 3,000 street parking meters.
All City-owned parking garages charge $1 per hour with a daily max of $10 (excluding special events). All downtown parking meters charge $0.25–$1.75 per hour from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
All public parking is free on Sundays (excluding special events).
Free Parking Options
More than 900 FREE off-street and on-street parking spaces are available downtown.
- 5th & Cherry St. (Courthouse Lot)
- NE corner of 2nd & Court Ave. (Polk County Admin Lot)
- SW corner of 2nd & Court Ave. (Election Office Lot)
- SE corner of 10th & Locust (FHLB lot by the Temple)
- Pennsylvania Ave. and E. 7th Street from E. Court to Des Moines St.
- Bridges over the Des Moines River
- Walnut Street bridge
- Grand Street Bridge (north side)
- Court Avenue bridge
- North side of Locust St. from 15th to 17th
Parking Meter Rates
Parking meter rates vary from $0.25 per hour to $1.25 per hour. Higher rates are charged in areas of higher demand for short-term parking. In the Historic Court District after 5 p.m., meters cost $1.75 per hour.
All downtown parking meters accept SmartCards and coin payment. Credit cards (Visa and Mastercard) are also accepted at silver-topped parking meters in the Historic Court District and Western Gateway areas.
View the interactive parking map showing each meter by rate, hours and accepted payment type.
Parking meters are free on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- July 4th
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
To temporarily reserve parking meters for construction work or an event, submit a special parking permit application a minimum of three days prior to the requested reservation date.
Parking Garage Rates
The City of Des Moines offers seven public parking ramps throughout downtown, operated and managed by ABM Parking Services.
City Parking Garages are available seven days a week. Rates apply Monday through Saturday.Rate: $1.00/hour, $10 daily max (excluding special events)
- 5th & Keo Parking Garage, - 525 5th Ave (close to the Iowa Events Center)
- 4th & Grand Parking Garage - 400 Grand Ave (close to the Civic Center)
- 3rd & Court Parking Garage - 210 2nd Ave (close to the Civic Center and Farmer's Market)
- 9th & Locust Parking Garage - 801 Locust St
- East 2nd Street Parking Garage - 402 E. 2nd Street
- E 4th & Des Moines Parking Garage - 555 E 4th Street (ground level)
- Center Street Park & Ride Parking Garage - 830 6th Ave (close to the Iowa Event Center)
You may view the garages on the Park Downtown Des Moines Parking Map.
Monthly parking options are available at all City-owned garages. For information about monthly parking options and rates, contact ABM Parking Services.
The City of Des Moines offers handicapped parking spaces at City-owned parking ramps and at blue-topped parking meters throughout downtown.
View our interactive map to locate a parking ramp or a blue parking meter closest to your destination.
City-owned parking garages are managed by ABM Parking Services. If you have questions or concerns regarding ramp operations, contact them:
- Email: DSMParking@abm.com
- Phone: (515) 243-8442
To report a broken parking meter or to find more information about downtown parking, please contact the City's Traffic & Transportation Division staff:
- Email: ENG-TT-Web@dmgov.org
- Phone: (515) 283-4973