Downtown parking rates are changing as the city of Des Moines launches a new parking strategy. Go to PARK Downtown Des Moines for more information.
The following information can be found on the Park Downtown Des Moines Parking Map.
- Hourly rates
- Hours of operation
- Time limits and restrictions
- Type of payment accepted
- Location of handicap meters
Most parking meters accept coins, smart cards and credit cards. Go to PARK Downtown Des Moines for more information on how smart cards work. You can purchase smart cards at:
- 3rd Street and Court Avenue Parking Garage office
- 9th Street and Locust Street Parking Garage office
- 5th Street and Grand Avenue (YMCA lobby)
- City Hall lobby - 400 Robert D Ray Drive
Parking meters are free on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- July 4th
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
To temporarily reserve parking meters for construction work or an event, submit a special parking permit application a minimum of three days prior to the requested reservation date.
Contact the Traffic & Transportation Division for further information:
- Email: ENG-TT-Web@dmgov.org
- Phone: (515) 283-4973