The SmartCard is a great payment alternative that works in most of the city’s 3,500 metered parking spaces. The SmartCard is a prepaid parking card. You can preload a set amount of value to the card and then can use it as payment at any of the on-street parking meters in downtown that are marked with the SmartCard logo.
To use a SmartCard to pay for a parking space, insert the card into the parking meter and follow instructions on the meter to add time. If there is time left on the meter when you return to your vehicle, reinsert the same SmartCard in the parking meter to have the remaining time refunded back to your card. You only pay for what you use!
Where can you buy or refill a SmartCard?
The City of Des Moines operates four automated SmartCard vending machines where cards can be purchased for $5 and value can be loaded on the card using cash or credit cards (Mastercard or Visa).SmartCard vending machines are located at:
- 3rd Street and Court Avenue Parking Garage office (on the 2nd Ave side)
- 9th Street and Locust Street Parking Garage office (on the corner of 8th & Grand)
- 5th Street and Grand Avenue (YMCA lobby)
- City Hall, located at 400 Robert D Ray Drive (1st Floor lobby) - CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
- Email: ENG-TT-Web@dmgov.org
- Phone: (515) 283-4973