History of the Fire Department
Return to Fire Department home page
The first fire company in the City of Des Moines was organized in 1865, and was known as the "Hook & Ladder.” After the City purchased an engine, the Company was reorganized under the name of the "Hawkeye Hose Company", with Charley Spofford as Chief Engineer.
For more information about our Fire Department's history, check out the following links:
- Fire Calls November and December 1891
- 1895 Fire Department Roster
- Jack and Jack
A gallery of some of our historical photos is below. To view in a larger format with captions, click on the photos.