Des Moines Arson Task Force
The Des Moines Arson Task Force is a coalition of interested persons consisting of representatives from the public and private sector. They cooperate to establish a system for the prevention and control of arson fires in the city of Des Moines. The Des Moines Arson Task Force investigates approximately 350 to 400 fires yearly, 65% to 75% of which are believed to be arson.
All fires are investigated with the team approach to provide better communication between fire and police officials, as well as external agencies such as the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, State of Iowa Fire Marshal’s Office, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation
The Arson Task Force Team:2 fire investigation teams, each consisting of:
- 1 Senior Fire Inspector
- 1 Senior Police Officer
- 1 member of Polk County Attorney's office
Steps of an Investigation:
- Investigate origin and cause by examining fire debris for clues to how the fire may have started and spread
- Collect evidence for analysis
- Take photographs of the fire scene
- Conduct interviews
- Develop theories
- Test theories
The process of the investigation and findings are detailed in a formal investigation report. Investigators, when required, testify to their findings in both formal hearings and court proceedings.
Training is a priority with members of the Arson Task Force. Members frequently attend special schools and training seminars to update themselves with the newest trends and technology in the field of fire investigation. Members of the task force conduct regular training seminars for personnel of the Des Moines Fire and Police Departments. Part of this training includes live house burns.
Contact the Des Moines Fire Department, Fire Investigation Division at 515-283-4240 for any of the following:
- You would like additional arson prevention information
- Your business or community group would like to have someone from the Des Moines Fire Department speak about arson
- You suspect a child of setting fires or would like information about the Department's juvenile fire-setter program
- If you know or suspect that an arson crime has been committed (or call the Arrest Arson In Des Moines Hot Line at (515) 223-1400. A reward fund is available to pay for qualified information)
Remember, fire stops with you!
2715 Dean Avenue
Administration, Maintenance and Training Building
Des Moines, IA 50317
- Monday – Friday,
8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Excluding City holidays
Phone: (515) 283-4240
FAX: (515) 283-4907
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category