Public Housing Program
The City of Des Moines, Iowa, Municipal Housing Agency, will CLOSE the waiting list for the Public Housing rental assistance program for Two, Three, Four, and Five Bedroom units. (family sizes larger than 2 people) effective January 31, 2020.
Public Housing will continue to accept applications ONLY from applicants qualifying for one of our five (5) Buildings-efficiency and one-bedroom units only. (persons 62 years or older, non-elderly persons with disabilities, single persons, or a family consisting of two persons.)
Public Housing Program rental units
Are located within the city of Des Moines
- Are owned and managed by the City of Des Moines Municipal Housing Agency (DMMHA)
- Are located within five apartment complexes and 34 single family homes
- Accessible units are available.
Eligibility is determined by
- HUD’s income guidelines (80% of median family income)
- Family composition
- Arrest history
- Past participation in federally subsidized programs
- Rental history.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old
- One member of the household must be a US citizen or non-citizen with eligible status.
- Applicants with any drug related charge in the past five years will be denied.
- Apply online for Public Housing
- Pick up a pre-application in DMMHA’s administrative office located at
2309 Euclid Avenue
Des Moines, Iowa 50310
- Print the Public Housing pre-application and return to DMMHA
Check your current position on the Public Housing waiting list at any time
After all eligibility criteria are met and upon acceptance of a unit, participants enter into a lease agreement with DMMHA and pay approximately 30% of their monthly adjusted income for rent.