Vacant Property and Unsafe Structures
- Identify structures in the city that are not fit for habitation
- See the buildings rehabilitated or removed.
Complaints may be brought to the attention of the Division by phoning (515) 283-4046 or via Email.
What can be done when code violations are observed on properties that are sitting vacant? The same ordinances and services available to residences with problem neighbors are available if the properties are vacant. The most common issues are listed below with phone numbers and links to the appropriate provider:
- Grass not Mowed/Weeds: Polk County Weed Commissioner (515) 286-3005 email@example.com
- Sidewalks defects or Not Shoveled: Report a Sidewalk Needing Repair
- Sidewalks Not Shoveled: Des Moines Public Works, call (515) 283-4950 or Report Snow or Ice Issues
- Security of a vacant Property/Property not secured: Neighborhood Inspections, (515) 283-4046, NID@dmgov.org
- Vagrants in a Vacant Property: Des Moines Police (515) 283-4811 or 9-1-1
- Public Nuisance/Condemned: Neighborhood Inspection (515) 283-4046, NID@dmgov.org
- Foreclosure List: Polk County Sheriff
- Ownership Information: Polk County Assessor
- Junk and Debris Complaints: Neighborhood inspections, (515) 283-4046, NID@dmgov.org
- Junk Vehicles: Neighborhood Inspections, (515) 283-4046, NID@dmgov.org
- Parking in the Front yard: Neighborhood Inspections, (515) 283-4046, NID@dmgov.org