When you need help with zoning verification, information about home businesses, sign permitting, sound permitting information about the zoning regulations for the City, zoning compliance inspections, or complaints of illegal uses of land or illegal signs, you'll find what you need on the Zoning Enforcement page.
The Zoning Enforcement Division has three primary responsibilities:
- Interpretation of the City Zoning Ordinance regulations in Chapter 134 of the Municipal Code
- Enforcement of compliance of development and land use activity with regulations in the Municipal Code: Zoning (Chapter 134), Planning and Design (Chapter 135), Transient Merchants/Mobile Vendors (Chapter 78 Articles III & IV), and Noise Control (Chapter 42 Article IV) among others
- Permitting for signs, outdoor amplified sound, and fences
We Can Help With
- Applications for Temporary Uses or Home Occupations
- Sign Permits
- Sound Permits
- Permitted land use and other zoning questions
- Zoning verification letters
List of Duties
- Inspection of fences (either newly permitted or found in disrepair)
- Inspection of issuance of business licenses and renewals for liquor and cigarette sales
- Home occupation reviews
- Illegal business or other use occupancy complaints
- Illegal sign and fence complaints
- Illegal transient merchant/mobile vendor complaints
- Final zoning compliance inspection of development for commercial and residential sites
- Noise complaints
- Planned Unit Development house permit reviews
For complaints regarding rental housing or illegal dumping of junk and debris reference the Neighborhood Inspections Division in the Neighborhood Services Department. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (515)-283-4046.
For general inquiries about amendments to the Zoning Ordinance, site development review under the Planning & Design Ordinance, and subdivision platting review please reference the Planning & Urban Design Division in the Development Services Department. You can email email@example.com or call (515)-283-4192.