Urban Hunting Permits

UrbanHuntingThe Des Moines Parks and Recreation Department issues special use permits for a controlled bow hunt. 

Register Online

The special use permit is for:
  • A controlled bow hunt for antler-less deer
  • Locations at several City of Des Moines parks and wildlife areas, as well as authorized private property
  • Only antler-less deer only unless you have been awarded a buck incentive tag
 Permit Details:
  • We issue a limited number of special use permits
  • All archers need to follow all rules and regulations of local, city, and state laws and ordinances
  • To be eligible you need
    • a valid Iowa hunting license
    • wildlife habitat stamp
    • Bow Hunter Safety Course Certification
    • Proficiency Test Certification
    • 'special use permit' from the City of Des Moines

For more information, please contact:
Mike Gaul
Horticulture Inspector
Des Moines Parks and Recreation
1551 East Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway
Des Moines, Iowa 50317
Office: 515-248-6329