The 2020 season looks a little different, but check out what we are offering this summer!
Due to the continuously evolving COVID-19 situation, all program dates are subject to change and/or cancellation.
On Monday, July 6, Birdland Swimming Pool, Nahas Family Aquatic Center and Teachout Family Aquatic Center will open. These three facilities will be open daily to the public for swim lessons, fitness classes and open swim. Please note the COVID-19 modifications below.
Monday – Friday
- 8 - 9 a.m. – Lap Swim
- 9 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. – Swim Lessons
- 12:15 - 1 p.m. – Aqua Fitness Class/Lap Swim (Aquatic Centers have a lower number of available lanes)
- Monday - Aqua Zumba at Birdland
- Tuesday - Aqua Body at Birdland
- Wednesday - Aqua Zumba at Teachout
- Thursday - Aqua Body at Teachout
- 1 - 4:30 p.m. – Public Open Swim
- 4:45 - 6:45 p.m. – Swim Lessons
- 7 - 8:30 p.m. – Public Open Swim
- 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. – Lap Swim
- 1 - 6:30 p.m. – Public Open Swim
- 12 - 1 p.m. – Lap Swim
- 1 - 5:30 p.m. – Public Open Swim
For patron and staff safety, our team has implemented the following COVID-19 modifications:
- Capacity is limited to 200 people per facility, with a “one in, one out” policy.
- Daily admission:
- Adults 21 and over: $4 per person
- Ages 3 - 20: $2 per person
- 2 and under: Free
- Half price admission after 7 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Half price admission after 5 p.m. on Saturday
- Pay at the gate, no preregistration will be taken.
- No season passes.
- The tube slides at Teachout will be closed; however, the non-tube water slides at all other facilities will be open.
- No pool rentals will be available.
- No chairs provided. Patrons can bring their own chair for use under shade canopies and on grass/deck areas.
- No lockers/baskets.
- Concessions open and provided in accordance with state regulations for restaurant services.
- Facilities cleaned between sessions and throughout the day as needed.
RETURN TO PLAY
2020 SWIM LESSONS
Swim Lesson Registration
- Registration is open!
- American Red Cross Learn-To-Swim Curriculum
- Swim Lesson Placement Guide
- Cost: $30 per participant; scholarship-eligible: $5 (group lessons only, does not apply to private lessons)
- Locations: Birdland Swimming Pool, Nahas Family Aquatic Center, and Teachout Family Aquatic Center
- Swim Lesson Sessions (Monday - Friday):
- Session 1: June 8 - 12 Canceled due to COVID-19
- Session 2: June 15 - 19 Canceled due to COVID-19
- Session 3: June 22 - 26 Canceled due to COVID-19
- Session 4: July 6 - 10
- Session 5: July 13 - 17
- Session 6: July 20 - 24
- Session 7: July 27 - 31
- Session 8: August 3 - 7
- Session 9: August 10 -14
SEASONAL JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Swim Lesson Information
Pool & Aquatic Center Locations (find details in our Parks Directory):
- Ashworth Swimming Pool - Closed in 2020.
- Birdland Swimming Pool - Open July 6.
- Nahas Family Aquatic Center - Open July 6.
- Northwest Family Aquatic Center - Closed in 2020.
- Teachout Family Aquatic Center - Open July 6.
All splash pools are closed due to COVID-19.
There are four splash pools operated across Des Moines. A splash pool is a splash pad with standing water and spray features; offering water play specifically aimed at children ages 10 and under. City of Des Moines splash pools are staffed; however, parental supervision is strongly encouraged.
There are 11 spraygrounds operating daily 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. from June 16 through September 30, free of charge.
A sprayground is a splash pad with spray features without standing water. Spraygrounds offer unsupervised water play. Staff is not provided at spraygrounds, so parental supervision is required.
All wading pools are closed for the season due to COVID-19.
Our wading pool season extends from June 16 through September 30. The days and hours of operation vary by facility. These water facilities are specifically aimed at children ages 10 and under. The wading pools are dispersed throughout the city and offer supervised water play. It is a great opportunity for children to meet other children, have fun, and build water confidence. Parental supervision is required.