MARINA USE DURING COVID-19
- Boat Ramp
- Fuel Dock
- Off Street Parking
- Access To Regional Trail System
- Non-Potable Water Available May 15 to October 1.
Marina Rental Rates
- The annual moorage season is April 1 - October 31.
- Seasonal Rates:
- Single Access - $500
- Double Access - $550
How to Apply
- Complete Marina Rental Application
- Provide Proof of Insurance (home/rental and boat - $ 500,000 minimum liability for each)
- Provide Current Valid DNR Registration
- Return all documentation to Parks and Recreation Department (1551 E Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway, Des Moines, Iowa 50317).
For more information about the Marina please email or call (515) 237-1652.
Flashboard installation process and guidelines
Through an agreement with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, the City will place Flashboards, that are two-feet high and nine-feet long and made of corrugated steel, on the Center Street Dam. This is to aid in providing enough water depth for Birdland Marina and the Des Moines River which are dependent upon the river CFS (cubic foot per second) flow. Boaters on the Des Moines River and at Birdland Marina should be advised that starting 24 to 36 hours ahead of the schedule installation date, water levels will become lower.
This annual process has been taking place in this location of Des Moines for more than 30 years. Flashboard placement increases the dam height backing water up the river and increasing harbor and river water depth by approximately 2 feet. The flashboards are removed in the fall to mitigate flooding for the following winter melt and spring rains and to prevent damage to the flashboards due to ice jams and large trees.
Several factors are taken into account in preparation for the installation of flashboard, which cannot be performed until there are acceptable conditions at Saylorville Reservoir and the level of Des Moines River is adequate. This includes but is not limited to:
- The outflow at Saylorville Reservoir is 4,000 CFS (cubic foot per second) or less,
- Saylorville Reservoir is at normal pool elevation, so inflow does not exceed outflow,
- The 2nd Avenue river gauge is at 14.5’ or below.
Please direct any questions to John Hagener at JAHagener@dmgov.org or call (515) 237-1652