Brenton Skating Plaza
Ready to skate?
Brenton Skating Plaza is an outdoor ice skating facility located in Downtown Des Moines. From November to March, the facility offers open-air skating for all ages. Located on the Principal Riverwalk along the Des Moines River, this ice skating facility and family entertainment venue opened in 2006 thanks to a gift from the Brenton Foundation.
Online registration for skating sessions is recommended. Walk-up admission will be allowed if space allows. Each skating session will be limited to 175 people (150 reserved, 25 walk-ups). Each skating session will allow for 1 hour and 45 minutes of skating. Customers may arrive up to 20 minutes early for their scheduled session.
To help everyone stay safe while enjoying Brenton Skating Plaza, visitors should wash their hands or use hand sanitizer frequently, social distance when possible, wear a face-covering if they are not vaccinated, and stay home if they are sick. For Return to Play protocols for Brenton Skating Plaza click here.
Season Dates & Times
Skating season begins Nov. 19, 2021 and ends March 2022. View Holiday Hours.
|Monday - Thursday||5–9 p.m.||5 - 6:45 p.m. | 7:15 - 9 p.m.|
|Wednesday||2-3:45pm||Senior Skating (walk up registration only)|
|Friday||5–9 p.m.||5 - 6:45 p.m. | 7:15 - 9 p.m.|
|Saturday||12–9 p.m.||12 - 1:45 p.m. | 2:15 - 4 p.m. | 4:30 - 6:15 p.m. | 7 - 8:45 p.m.|
|Sunday||12–6 p.m.||12 - 1:45 p.m. | 2 - 3:45 p.m. | 4:15 - 6 p.m.|
|Child (Ages 6–12) Admission
Senior (Ages 60+) Admission
|Child (Under 5) Admission||Free|
|Skate Rental (All ages)||$4.50/pair|
|Shoe Check (Optional)||$1/pair|
(10 Admissions including Skate Rentals, all ages)
Attendance & Admissions Policy
- Patrons may check-in at admissions up to 20 minutes prior to the start of their session.
- All patrons must leave the rink and return their skates at the conclusion of their session.
- Pre-registered patrons cannot transfer their time slot.
- Gift cards and punch passes cannot be used for online reservations.
- No refunds will be given if the rink is open.
- If the last session of the day has less than 10 patrons 30 minutes after the sessions begins, the rink will close for the day and one free pass will be issued to each patron. Passes will cover the cost of admission and skate rental.
- If the rink closes prior to the start of a session due to weather, refunds for that session will be issued (see weather policy for more details). Debit/Credit card refunds will process in 3-5 business days.
- If the rink closes during a session due to weather, skate passes will be issued to those in attendance. Skate passes cover the cost of admission and skate rental.
- Warm Weather: 55° - 59° - Open at sundown | 60° - 65° - Closed for the day | Over 65° - Closed until ice has recovered
- Cold Weather: Forecast of temperatures under 5° or wind-chill below 0° for a majority of the open hours, the rink will close for the day.
- Snow: In the event of snow, the rink will be cleared and opened as soon as possible.
Text BRENTONSKATING to 84483 for weather cancellation alerts.