Cemetery History - Elm Grove
Elm Grove Cemetery
- In 1853, Henry C. Hargis moved to Bloomfield Township, just south of Des Moines and purchased 500 acres of farmland.
- H.C. and his wife Elizabeth donated land that became Elm Grove Cemetery.
- The first burial was Alice E. Brisco who passed on May 24, 1854 at age five months.
- 61 unwanted cremated remains are buried in a mass grave on Lot 346.
- The Croatian Center (near the property) at 6575 Indianola Road has occupied the old Elm Grove Elementary School since 1972.
- The old school was vacant for seven years before four Croatian organizations in the city raised $10,000 to purchase the building.
- The original Elm Grove School was organized on May 14, 1867, and merged with the Des Moines Public Schools on July 1, 1957.