Cemetery History - Laurel Hill
Laurel Hill Cemetery
- Laurel Hill Cemetery is one of the highest points of the city, with commanding views of the downtown skyline and is located directly south of the Iowa State Fairgrounds.
- The cemetery was founded in 1907, and was one of the three established the City of Des Moines.
- The cemetery includes a Veterans’ section, GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) section, infant section, 48-unit cremains columbarium, and sales office as well as maintenance buildings.
- Approximately 25% of the municipal cemeteries’ annual burials and space sales are done at Laurel Hill.
- The first burial was Emma Springer in 1907.
- One of Iowa’s oldest citizens, Nellie Cross who lived to be 112.
- Civil War veteran John Heath, an African-American Union Army Buffalo Soldier.