Cemetery History - Oak Grove
Oak Grove Cemetery
- Oak Grove Cemetery is nestled on a 1.9-acre site, situated among residences in the heart of the Southwestern Hills neighborhood.
- Oak Grove was established more than 125 years ago by a Methodist-Episcopal Church, located adjacent to the property.
- The City of Des Moines acquired the cemetery in 1924.
- Gravesites date back to the mid-1800s.
- Among those buried in the small cemetery is Barlow Grander, founder of The Des Moines Star newspaper.
- The church, along with the cemetery records, was destroyed by fire in the early 1940s therefore; the exact number of graves is unknown.
- There are 433 monuments in the cemetery.