- Adopt A Block
- Special Projects
Adopt a Block
You can become a cemetery stewards. Cemetery stewards select a block(s) to maintain at one of our cemeteries from April to November on a flexible schedule that works best for you. Cemetery Steward duties include: picking up small branches, cutting back dead flowers, picking up litter, maintaining headstones, and reporting damage.
Adopt-A-Block 2021 will kick-off with a virtual event on March 31st from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.
sign up here
We have paper documents we are converting to a digital format and indexing for easy search. If you want to volunteer for this project you must be willing to pass a background check. Contact the Glendale Cemetery office at 515-248-6320 for more information.
Special Projects (Corporate/School Groups)
We have projects available throughout the year to help with cemetery operations. Volunteers of all ages can get involved.
- Veteran Sections
- Decorate veterans’ graves with flags
- Clean veterans’ stones
- Raise veterans’ stones
- Decoration cleanup (March 1, July 1, and October 1)
- Remove trash and branches
- Clear fence lines
- Raise flush markers
- Plant trees
- Memorial Day Volunteers
- Greet guests in the office
- Assist in locating loved ones
- Direct traffic
- Tours - Knowledgeable historians may offer no-cost tours to the public
- General Office Tasks
- Scan and index paper records
- Provide clerical support
- Generate funds to support special projects, such as headstone repair at Woodland
- General Cemetery Grounds
If your group wants to volunteer: Contact email@example.com or the Glendale Cemetery office at 515-248-6320