The trail system continues to be one of the most popular amenities in the park system. Recent counts indicate users take over 1 million trail trips each year. With 68 miles of paved and 19 miles of soft trails, there is something and some way for everyone to get out and be active - from mountain bikers to runners and walkers of all ages. Trails are not just for exercise; numerous riders utilize trails for their daily commute, year-round. The network in Des Moines serves as a nucleus for the state, with connectivity to over 550 miles in Central Iowa.
Access the most current versions of Central Iowa Trail Maps, created and maintained by the Des Moines Area Metropolitan Planning Organization.
- Des Moines has over 18 miles of sustainable shared "singletrack" dirt trails for mountain biking, running, hiking, and exploring.
- The trails are maintained with the help of The Central Iowa Trail Association (CITA).
- For more information visit: www.centraliowatrails.com
- Ewing Park - 5300 Indianola Road
- Grandview Park - 3230 Easton Boulevard
- Greenwood Park - 4500 Grand Avenue
“Know before You Go” with our text message notification service. Text DSMTRAILS to 84483 to receive trail updates from Des Moines Parks and Recreation.
Each year the City of Des Moines participates in the National Bicycle and Pedestrian Documentation Project to assess trail use in our community. Volunteer!
We need hundreds of volunteers to assist with counting and surveying trail users. All supplies and training are provided. This is a great volunteer event to sign-up with a partner/friend and give back to our community together!
Volunteers can earn $10 as Bike Ped Bucks (good for admissions, activities, memberships, facility/equipment rental and more!) as a thank you OR sign-up for multiple shifts and receive a FREE Mayor's Annual Ride and Run registration.
Links to 2019 Data
Bike Ped Count results
Bike Ped Annual Uses Chart
Bike Ped Survey Responses
Links to 2021 Information
Bike Ped Count Training Information
Bike Ped Location List and Map
National Bicycle and Pedestrian Documentation Project Home
2021 Count Forms - Coming Soon
2021 Survey Forms - Coming Soon
- For project-specific information, please contact Colby Fangman, Park Planner at (515) 248-6357 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For volunteering related questions, please contact Callie Leau-Courtright at (515) 248-6380 or email@example.com.