Homeland Security Section
The Homeland Security Section's mission is to protect the lives of Des Moines residents and visitors, as well as their property from natural or man-made disasters. This is accomplished through a multi-layered process that includes:
- Information Analysis and Information Sharing
- Preparedness and Response
- Prevention and Protection
Homeland Security Section Units
- Bomb Squad
- Metro Special Tactics and Response (S.T.A.R)
Homeland Security Section Staffing
- Staffing is made up of officers from the Des Moines Police Department and Deputies from the Polk County Sheriff's Office.
- The officers and deputies are either assigned to the Section on a full-time basis as their sole responsibility or they have full-time assignments in other areas, but respond as part of the Homeland Security Section during emergencies.
- Bringing together all the units under one section to provide a comprehensive approach to incident management from prevention and detection to response and recovery.
Homeland Security Section Additional Responsibilities
- They train and respond with the Des Moines Fire Department Hazardous Materials Team and the Iowa National Guard's 71st Civil Support Team.
- They respond to calls from surrounding agencies for a variety of bomb, tactical, planning and training services.
- They have agreements with
- Metropolitan Advisory Council
- Iowa Homeland Security
- Emergency Management Division, and
- The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).