SCRUBs are held the 3rd Saturday of each month; March thru November from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Proof of residency is required. Photo ID or current utility bill.
- Residents of Des Moines only.
- NO commercial haulers. Commercial haulers MUST use landfill.
- Cars, pickups and small trailers (16’ maximum).
- Trailers larger than 16’ MUST be sponsored by neighborhoods.
Free drop off - delays possible
- Ask where to unload.
- Plan to unload your own vehicle within 15 minutes.
- Place all items in dumpsters or compactors as directed.
- Clean up your own mess.
Items of Interest
- Scavenging/Salvaging is NOT permitted at any time.
- Refurbishing items – bikes may be referred to the Des Moines Street Collective at 506 E 6th St. For a complete list of items for recycling, visit WhereItShouldGo.com or consult your local Yellow Pages.
Items that are accepted during SCRUB Events
Trash and Bulk Items
- Trash containers
- General trash including furniture
- Lawn mowers (all fluids MUST be drained)
- Televisions and computers
- Tires - any size on/off rim (LIMIT 10 per vehicle - NO commercial haulers)
- Air conditioners
- Water heaters
Only accepted at Metro Compost Center (1601 Harriett St.)
- Yard waste containers
- Brush, tree limbs (24" diameter or less; maximum length 10') and trimmings
- Loose leaves
- Grass clippings
- Straw, hay
- Garden waste
Household Hazardous Waste Disposal
Only offered at Neighborhood MEGA SCRUB events
What is accepted at MEGA SCRUB:
- Batteries: Rechargeable mercuric-oxid (button batteries), nickel cadmium (NiCd), lithium (Li), nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) or car batteries)
- Cell phones
- Cleaners, drain and liquid cleaners
- Floor care products
- Gasoline and kerosene
- Light bulbs: high efficiency only: SFLs, ballast, high intensity discharge
- Motor oil
- Oil filters
- Oven cleaner
- Paints: Oil based only. NO LATEX!
- Petroleum-based adhesives
- Pool chemicals
- Roofing tar
- Rust removers
- Sharps: must be contained in detergent bottles or sharps containers (not milk jugs or pop bottles). Lids must also be taped.
- Shellac and stains
What is NOT accepted as hazardous waste:
- Air fresheners
- Ammunition and explosives
- Batteries: AA, AAA or Alkaline, non-rechargable
- Computers and electronics
- Cleaners, enzymatic and liquid cleaners
- Dry cement
- Fire extinguishers
- Joint compounds
- Laundry products
- Light bulbs: incandescent
- Paint: latex based
- Potting soil
- Propane tanks
- Sewing needles
- Trash (non-hazardous waste)
- Trash cans, empty containers
For more information regarding Household Hazardous Waste Disposal you may call Metro Waste Authority at (515) 244-0021 or visit WhereItShouldGo.com.