Private Property Protection
The City of Des Moines offers a subsidy to help protect your property. It is called the Private Property Protection Program. The property must be within the City of Des Moines and the work done by a licensed plumber.
The City will reimburse 100% of the cost to property owners who meet the program requirements. The maximum subsidy amount is $1,500. The reimbursement will be paid to the property owner.
- Work must be done before June 30, 2023
- A subsidy application must be completed
- A preapproval letter from the city is required before the work begins
What type of work qualifies for funding?
- The installation or redirection of a sump pump to discharge flows from foundation drains and area drains to a non-sanitary sewer outlet such as a rain garden, storm sewer, or the ground surface
- The disconnection of roof leaders from the sanitary sewer service
- The installation of backwater valve
How will I be reimbursed?
The subsidy will be paid to the property owner as a direct payment for the amount of qualifying work.
Instructions & Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions are available here.
- Submit completed application with itemized estimate and description of the project.
- City will review submitted application and issue a pre-approval letter for qualified work.
- Work must be completed by a licensed plumber with plumbing permit only after City issues pre-approval.
- After work is completed, additional documentation will be required including itemized invoice, proof of payment, plumbing permit number, and W-9 federal tax form.
- City will process the rebate payment after receiving all necessary documentation.
Access to your property may be required for city staff to review this application and inspect the completed project.
For questions regarding this program, please contact the Clean Water Program Office at (515) 323-8165 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.