Home Base Iowa
The City of Des Moines is proud to announce its partnership with Home Base Iowa to become a Home Base Iowa Community! Home Base Iowa (HBI) is a statewide program designed to assist veterans transitioning back into civilian life! To learn more, click HERE.
Home Base Iowa Communities
Home Base Iowa Communities are communities that provide additional incentives for Veterans that choose to locate to their communities. By partnering with HBI, the City of Des Moines is able to offer qualified veterans a set of local benefits.
City of Des Moines benefits include:
- Free entry to any City-owned pool on the 4th of July
- Free dog park annual pass permit for up to two dogs
- Annual pass for up to five immediate family members to Park and Recreation Community Recreation Centers
- Waived one-time $40 fee for a new trash bin (if the new residents need a new trash bin)
- In-home smoke detector inspection from Des Moines Fire Department. Free smoke detector installation for homes without smoke detectors.
- 1 free pet license
- Personal 30-min resume review session with City’s Human Resources professional staff
- All veterans are welcome to sign up for a library card at the Des Moines Public Library and can be connected with the many free available resources at the City’s six library locations and online at dmpl.org
- One-on-one personal coaching session with Community Development staff on how to participate in the City’s tax abatement opportunities
To see the full list of local benefits, click HERE.
To qualify for these local benefits, Veterans must complete the three steps below:
1. Complete the online application
2. Submit a copy of your DD214 form, AND
3. Provide documentation that you have moved into the City of Des Moines within the last 12 months of completing this online application or will be moving into the city limits within the next 3 months. If you are a renter, please provide a letter from your landlord or if you recently purchased a home, please submit a copy of your deed.
Documents should be sent to: Des Moines City Hall, Attn: City Manager’s Office / Pa Goldbeck, 400 East Court, Des Moines, IA, 50309; or you can send it via email .
Upon verification of meeting this program’s requirements, you will receive a notification of acceptance to receive these local benefits, along with directions on how to take advantage of the benefits.
*Note: This program is limited to the first 30 veterans who qualify on a first-come, first-serve basis. Incentives are good for one-year. The city reserves the right to determine City incentives at any given point.*
Home Base Iowa Businesses
Home Base Iowa Businesses are businesses that have committed to hiring transitioning service members and veterans for semi-skilled and skilled positions in Iowa. Many of these businesses actively attend job fairs to recruit veterans for employment.
The Home Base Iowa website features a complete list of employers throughout Des Moines and the state that are looking to hire veterans.
Discounts at Local Businesses
The following document lists businesses and organizations that are offering incentives and/or discounts to veterans, active duty military personnel, etc. This list is continually being updated, so check back often. If your organization is not listed and you would like us to include you, please complete this quick form.
Please call 515-283-4141 or email us.