First Des Moines MEGA Spring Cleanup Event Since Pandemic Hit
DES MOINES, IOWA — Thursday, June 18, 2020 — Following cancellations earlier this year due to COVID-19, the first MEGA SCRUB event of the year is scheduled to take place this Saturday, June 20, 2020 from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Capitol Complex Lot #3. Spring Cleanup to Reduce Urban Blight (SCRUB) events take place the third Saturday of each month between March and November to allow Des Moines residents a free and convenient way to dispose of trash, appliances, yard waste and more.
MEGA SCRUB events are sponsored by neighborhoods and are open to all residents of Des Moines. In addition to accepting trash and appliances, MEGA SCRUB events also provide safe disposal of household hazardous waste materials.
As residents utilize this free service, we ask that they follow these precautions in order to stay safe and healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- When you arrive, please keep your vehicle windows rolled up and press your ID against the window for residency confirmation
- Our Public Works employees will be wearing PPE. We ask you to thoughtfully consider returning the favor by wearing a mask and/or gloves as well
- Maintain a six-foot distance from others
SCRUB events this Saturday will take place at the following locations and times:
- MWA Transfer Station (4198 Delaware Ave) from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- MWA Compost Center (1601 Harriett St) from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- MEGA SCRUB: Capitol Complex Lot #3 (West of E. 14/South of Court Ave.) from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Before attending, please review the SCRUB guidelines at DSM.city/SCRUB.
Communications Manager, City Manager’s Office
About the City of Des Moines
The City of Des Moines: Iowa’s capital city and local government servicing more than 217,000 residents, 51+ neighborhoods, over 4,000 acres of parkland and 81 miles of trails. The City of Des Moines stands to be a financially strong city with exceptional city services, fostering an involved community in a customer friendly atmosphere. Visit Facebook and Twitter for more information.