How do I? close menu

Curbside Collection of Storm Debris Nears Completion

Press Release


DES MOINES, IOWA – Wednesday, September 9, 2020 – It’s been five weeks since the storm of the summer moved through Des Moines and much of central Iowa. Since one week after the storm, Public Works crews have been collecting yard waste debris at each residents’ curbside. In just four weeks, more than 7,300 loads have been picked up and hauled off.

“We appreciate the patience of our residents as this effort has been no small task,” said Public Works Director Jonathan Gano. “Nearly 70 percent of the City is complete, and we plan to collect the remaining 30 percent this week, or early next week at the latest.”

Although the work is almost done, interactive maps are still being updated and residents can check the status of the cleanup and when crews will arrive at their address. If new piles are put in places that have already been serviced and marked complete on the map, the debris will not be collected.

Residents either need to:

  • reduce storm debris to fit regular yard waste guidelines which includes the appropriate bags and stickers,
  • visit the MWA Metro Park East Landfill (12181 NE University Ave. in Mitchellville), or
  • attend the City’s next SCRUB event scheduled for Saturday, September 19 from 7 a.m.-2 p.m. at the MWA Compost Center (1601 Harriett St.)

For more information, visit DSM.city/yardwaste or call (515) 283-4950.


CONTACT
Al Setka
Communications Manager, City Manager’s Office
(515) 283-4057
AMSetka@dmgov.org

About the City of Des Moines
The City of Des Moines: Iowa’s capital city and local government servicing more than 217,000 residents, 51+ neighborhoods, over 4,000 acres of parkland and 81 miles of trails. The City of Des Moines stands to be a financially strong city with exceptional city services, fostering an involved community in a customer friendly atmosphere. Visit DSM.cityFacebook and Twitter for more information.