East Douglas Avenue Reconstruction Project Update
Thursday, November 12, 2020 — Residents in the Sheridan Gardens and Brook Run Neighborhoods will notice increased construction activity in the coming weeks as crews begin much needed infrastructure improvements along East Douglas Avenue. Here's the latest updates as of today:
Water Main Replacement
(East Douglas Ave. between East 43rd Court and East 48th Street)
The water main replacement work along East Douglas Avenue between East 43rd Court and East 48th Street is scheduled to move west of East 46th Street early next week.
Therefore, weather permitting, starting the middle of next week (week of November 17), East Douglas Avenue will be reopened from East 46th Street to the east. East Douglas Avenue will remain closed from East 43rd Court to west of East 46th Street, and the detour will be updated to use East 46th Street and Hubbell Avenue.
East Douglas Avenue Reconstruction Project
(Between East 42nd Court and East 56th Street)
The roadway reconstruction of East Douglas Avenue between East 42nd Street and East 56th Street will be bid during February and March of 2021. This project includes full depth removal of existing pavement, and construction of a completely new Portland Cement Concrete pavement section with curbs and gutters and storm sewers. There will be complete road closures during this construction. Access to driveways along East Douglas Avenue will be maintained as much as possible. The construction will occur in phases to limit the duration of road closures (i.e. construct roughly a ½ mile of the 1 ½ mile project at a time). Detours will be posted for the various road closures.
This project will also include:
- Construction of a 10-foot wide shared use trail along the south side of East Douglas Avenue between East 42ndStreet and East 56th Street.
- Construction of an approximate 2-acre stormwater detention basin north of East Douglas Avenue, east of Brook Run Drive.
- Construction of an approximate 2-acre stormwater detention basin south of East Douglas Avenue, west of Brook Run Park.
- Construction of a ¼ mile shared use path loop in Brook Run Park and around the new (south) stormwater basin.
- Acquisition of the 1-acre parcel at the southwest corner of East Douglas Avenue and Village Run Drive to expand the Brook Run Park green space.
The two stormwater detention basins will provide approximately 1 Million cubic feet of storage volume to reduce flood risk downstream and reduce stormwater runoff and velocities downstream.
Construction of the roadway reconstruction project is anticipated to start mid- to late spring 2021 and be complete in the fall of 2022.