Visit 31 Parks in 31 Days and You Could Win $1,000 with Tour DM Parks!
DES MOINES, IOWA – June 19, 2019 – This July, Des Moines Parks and Recreation is once again celebrating National Parks and Recreation Month by inviting residents to get out and take a tour of our parks, trails and facilities with “Tour DM Parks.” From July 1 to July 31, participants can visit 31 designated spots in the park system, share a photo on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #tourdmparks2019. Those who visit all 31 locations are eligible to compete and win the grand prize of $1,000 CASH courtesy of the Friends of Des Moines Parks.
“We have so many beautiful public spaces around Des Moines, and we just want to give people an exciting reason to go and explore them,” said Benjamin R. Page, Director of Parks and Recreation. “Special thanks to our premier sponsor, the Friends of Des Moines Parks, for supplying the $1,000 grand prize once again. We are eager to see what kind of fun and creative entries the 2019 tour participants post online!”
- First 500 entrants to visit 10 locations and submit a photo receive a t-shirt.
- First 500 participants to visit 20 locations and submit a photo receive a $20 “Parks Bucks” certificate, valid for use until June 30, 2020.
- Entrants who visit all 31 locations and submit photos are eligible to compete for the Tour DM Parks grand prize of $1,000. Second and third place scorers will receive their choice of the following prizes:
- Family pass to community recreation center pass for one year – valued at $400
- Family pool pass for use at any City of Des Moines pool or aquatic center – valued at $140
As a special 125th anniversary celebration of the first four Des Moines parks, entrants who visit four specific locations and share photos using the hashtag #minitour will win a commemorative coin valued at $5 each. These locations are:
- Grandview Park (Disc Golf)
- Greenwood Park (Pond)
- Union Park (Gazebo at SW corner)
- Waveland Park (Golf Course entrance sign)
How to Get Started
For the full tour itinerary, contest information and mobile friendly map, visit dmparks.org/tourdmparks.
Benjamin R. Page
Director, Des Moines Parks and Recreation
About Des Moines Parks and Recreation
Founded in 1892, the Parks and Recreation Department’s mission is “Helping Des Moines Live Well, Play Hard and Protect the Earth.” Our department is responsible for the management of 75 parks, over 4,000 acres of parkland, 81 miles of trails, seven cemeteries and many recreation facilities. In addition, we offer numerous programs in the areas of sports, urban conservation, environment education, sport instruction, volunteerism, rentals and special events. For more information on Des Moines Parks and Recreation programs or facilities, visit our website (dmparks.org), Facebook (facebook.com/desmoinesparks), Twitter (@desmoinesparks) or Instagram (instagram.com/desmoinesparks).